- Combine salt, sugar, aromatics and 1/2 gallon (8 cups) of water in a large pot and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling. Stir in an additional 1/2 gallon cold water (or water and ice) and cool completely.
- Pour brine into a container just large enough to hold turkey comfortably. (A 4- or 5-gallon vessel should be good for a 10- to 12-pound turkey.)
- Add turkey; add a little more water or ice to submerge it if necessary.
- Place a heavy plate over the poultry if it floats.
- Chill overnight.
- Remove bird from brine, discard brine and roast as directed.
Roasting Turkey Directions:
- Rinse and pat dry with paper towels inside and out. When dry, rub the turkey inside out with salt and lime juice, carefully lifting up the skin and rubbing underneath.
- In a blender, place the garlic, Aji Panca paste, Aji Mirasol paste, soy sauce, vinegar, oregano, cumin and olive oil then mix for 30 seconds. Rub the mix into turkey, inside and out. Stuff the turkey with the lime halves, sage, thyme and bay leaves. Tuck wings under and tie legs with kitchen string. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large, heavy roasting pan, place the chopped carrots, celery and onions. Place the marinated turkey breast side up for 1 hour. Then cover the turkey with aluminum foil and roast for an additional hour. Uncover the turkey and roast for another 30-45 minutes or until a thermometer is inserted and registers 165 degrees. When turkey is done, remove from oven and place on a platter. Cover with aluminum foil and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes before carving.