- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Start by roasting the asparagus – snap off the woody ends and reserve for vegetable stock or another use. Lay the asparagus spears on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Put in the preheated oven for 15 minute. Remove from oven, allow to cool. When cool, cut into 1/4″ pieces.
- While the asparagus is cooking, brown the bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat. Remove when crispy, reserving the drippings.
- Next, add the potatoes, onions, celery and Parmesan cheese rind (if using shredded parmesan add this after adding the stock) and season with black pepper. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, they will be slightly browned.
- Add in the stock and about 3/4 of the chopped asparagus. (Reserve adding salt and remaining asparagus until the end of the cooking process.) Increase the heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the remains of the Parmesan rind (it’s job is done!) If you’re using shredded parmesan, add it now and stir until incorporated.
- Using a submersion or stand blender, blend the soup until it is creamy.
- When the consistency is to your liking, taste & adjust seasonings, add salt if needed.
- Garnish with reserved asparagus and bacon crumbles. A drizzle of good olive oil adds so much flavor!