- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Drizzle a large, rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic and shallot.
- Place the sliced tomatoes cut side-down on the sheet pan and roast 30 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, and sugar and roast 10 more minutes, or until skins have lifted off the tomatoes.
- Let cool, pull off the skins, then pour all the tomatoes and their roasting juices into a bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher, or for a smooth texture you could use a food processor or blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy with your favorite pasta!