- Carefully peel strips of zest from lemons using a vegetable peeler, and place zest into a large jar. Avoid digging too deep and peeling the white pith under the skin, trying only for the outer lemon skin. Pour in alcohol or vodka. Cover it and let infuse for 30 days in a cold and dark place.
- After 30 days, combine water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat; stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Set simple syrup aside to cool completely.
- Remove the skins from the alcohol with a strainer and discard. The alcohol will be bright lemony yellow in color.
- Pour alcohol through a cheesecloth lined sieve into another large glass container. Strain once or twice to remove smaller bits of lemon.
- Combine the infused alcohol with the cooled simple syrup. Mixture will turn slightly cloudy.
- Stir vodka mixture into syrup. Strain into glass bottles, seal each bottle with a cork. Let mixture age for 2 weeks at room temperature.
- Place bottled liqueur into the freezer. When icy cold, serve in chilled shot glasses.
TIP: What to do with all the peeled lemons when you’re done? Juice them, pour the juice into ice cube trays, and freeze. Then bag up the frozen cubes and you’ve got fresh lemon juice for all your recipes!