For the Brine:
- Bring water, salt, sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, rosemary, and cloves to a simmer in a large stockpot and cook until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add cold apple cider. Let sit until brine is room temperature.
- Submerge the roast in the brine (in a pot with a lid or in a large 2.5-gallon zipper bag).
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours, and up to 24 hours (but no more).
- Remove meat from brine and pat dry with a paper towel.
For the Rack of Pork:
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season pork with salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary, garlic, and olive oil.
- Place rack in a roasting pan fat side up (resting on the chin bone). Cook for 90 minutes or to an internal temperature of 145 degrees. If the black bones bother you, then just wrap a little foil around each tip previews cooking it.
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes, covered loosely with foil before serving.