- Mix together sugar, port, cinnamon and water in a heavy 2-quart saucepan, over MED-HIGH heat. Stir well, and add cranberries. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to MED-LOW and simmer 30-40 minutes until thickened. Stir often.
- Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
- If a chunkier cranberry sauce is desired, pour the sauce in a blender or food processor and chop or pulse a couple of times, until cranberries are almost puréed. (Or, even easier yet, leave the sauce in the pan and use a stick blender.)
- If a smooth cranberry sauce is desired, pour the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer over a medium bowl.
- Stir in the orange liqueur.
- Pour the sauce into an airtight container and let cool before covering. When the sauce has cooled, cover tightly and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Note: Cranberry sauce can be frozen in a freezer container up to 2 months.