Preparation for chocolate cake:
- In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl or large -liquid- measuring cup add the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; mix it with manual whisker, or beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup
** I use decaffeinated coffee. 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup water
To make the filling and construct:
In a medium bowl, use the beaters to whip the cream into firm peaks. Stir through the strawberries.
Place the bottom cake layer on the serving plate and spoon all the cream filling on top. Spread it out to cover the layer evenly.
Place the second layer on top and use a sieve to lightly dust it with icing sugar.
Place the additional strawberries in a pyramid on top.
Best eaten on the same day but will last for 2-3 days in the fridge.