- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Attach the sides of the pan and lightly grease and flour the sides and bottom.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar. Beat for 4 to 6 minutes, scraping down the sides half-way.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and blend until incorporated.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Beat on low until incorporated. Add half of the ricotta and beat until smooth. Repeat adding half of the remaining flour, then all the remaining ricotta. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold gently with a spatula to ensure the batter is well mixed.
- Pour two thirds of the cake batter into the prepared pan and top with two thirds of the frozen cherries. Add the remaining batter on top of the cherries and smooth the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Finally, scatter the remaining cherries on top of the batter. Gently press them about halfway into the batter.
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter, moist crumbs are fine.
- Cool at least 20 minutes before removing the sides of the pan.