- Combine your ingredients (minus the cream, butter, and parmesan) in a large stockpot.
- Cook until the butternut squash can be easily mashed with a fork, about 20-30 minutes.
- Either use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Or you can transfer the soup in two batches to a traditional blender and puree it there. (Just be extremely careful blending hot liquids; you do not want the blender to be too full.
- Strain it into a pot, and add butter, cream, and parmesan cheese.
- Taste and season. Add extra salt and pepper if needed, to taste.
Serve and enjoy! Garnished with any of your favorite toppings.