- Place a large pot over medium-high heat and add sausage, break it with a spoon as desire (after a couple of minutes you’ll have plenty of fat at the bottom of your pot).
- Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring it to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.